It is depicted as a leafless, moving tree. Judging by its name, it could be inferred that it aggressively rapes its victims as well.
It is possible that a jar of tree sap summons it.
It is released during the Purge and can be seen grabbing a guard and dragging him into the elevator. The elevator then spews out blood from the entrance, showing that the Tree aggressively killed the guard off screen. It is then seen later on a monitor using its roots to drag an unconscious worker off screen.
This monster is an easy reference to The Evil Dead, where a woman is attacked and raped by possessed trees.
Other films with notably aggressive trees include:
- Poltergeist , in which a tree drags the boy from his bedroom window
- The Harry Potter series, which features the Whomping Willow
- The Wizard of Oz, which features the Angry Apple Throwing Trees
- Sleepy Hollow , where a person is shown disappearing in the roots.
- The Last Unicorn, in which a tree attempts to kill someone by smothering him between her giant wooden breasts.
- The Happening, in which trees and other flora release a neurotoxin which forces people to commit suicide
- The Guardian , in which a nurse, in reality a witch, tried to sacrifice children to a malefic tree
- Jumanji, in which a carnivorous vine plant is one of the jungle monsters unleashed by the titular haunted board game.